Become a Fan on Facebook!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Battle of Carillon 250th Anniversary

I went to Fort Ticonderoga yesterday for the Battle of Carillon 250th Anniversary... IT WAS AMAZING. Oh my god... I can't put into adequate words how awesome this was!

We left my house (I went with my dad and brother) around 9:30am to be there, because it's about an hour and a half to get there, and it was PACKED. The line of cars to get in was backed up over a mile. So we were waiting in line for almost an hour and got into the fort at about 12:15. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

Once inside we were able to see the French, British, Indian, and Civilian camps, and we got to go down Sutlers Row where they sold stuff (never got a chance to buy anything, you'll see) from the period, and it was wicked sweet.

But the main highlight was the reenactment of the battle. When the cannons fired and the muskets were blazing the WHOLE GROUND shook. You could feel it. Oh man... my ears were ringing with the noise. It was so loud that we couldn't hear the thunder.

And like, the day started off overcast and hot (I got a sunburn), but then when the reenactment started it just opened up and poured. The reenactment was at 2pm, and ran until 4pm (got cut off at 3:12pm though due to the rain). So I wanted to go buy stuff afterwards, but sadly the rain kinda washed us out. It was just coming down too hard to stay.

Seriously, this was a torrential downpour. One comment I heard was "I'd be drier if I were underwater in a pool!", and he wasn't kidding! It was WET. But seeing the reenactment was worth it.

I took a lot of photos during the day, some better than others, and put them Here on Myspace to see. The better ones are here on my DeviantART though. And my favourites are at the end of this entry. ^^

Man... I can't WAIT for the Revolutionary War reenactment in September. ♥

HISTORY RULES!


Meeting of the Minds by *Saknika on deviantART


Preparing for the Day by *Saknika on deviantART


Preping to Fire by *Saknika on deviantART

1 comment:

Elise said...

That sounds so awesome! I've always wanted to go to a battle reenactment but have never had the chance. :( It sounds like you had a really nice time, except for the rain... If only we could break this horrible weather pattern that we're having in the northeast! Great photos as always and I'll be adding your new blog to my blog list. ^^